David Bentley was making raves as he made his way through the youth academy of Arsenal and at the age of 16, Bentley was already training with the senior squad of Arsenal before making his official appearance in a competitive match for Arsenal when he was 19 years old.
The Englishman was labeled to be one of the next big things in English football as Bentley was a dead-ball specialist and during his childhood he was already scoring goals in the form of free-kicks as well as providing impressive crosses to his teammates but his career stalled and started to fall apart when he signed for Tottenham Hotspurs and in 3 seasons he only managed on making 42 appearances as well as having to be transferred outside of the club on a number of loan deals.
During his time at White Hart Lane, Bentley was mostly just being used as a substitute player and this was why he opted to join other clubs and get more playing time even if it only was on loan deals but at the age of 29 Bentley decided to hang up his boots and retire.
David Bentley has revealed a few of the main reasons on why he decided to retire despite having a few more years and seasons left in him to play at a high level.
“I remember being a bit disappointed in myself. I was thinking: ‘You should love it, what’s the matter with you? You’re only saying this because you’re a little bit unhappy at the minute’.
“But in the end I just got tired of all the bull**** that goes with it, people wanting you to sell yourself as something you’re not. I loved matchdays, the atmosphere and the buzz, but, looking back, the biggest disappointment was coming out of youth team football. Back then I was with my mates, playing Sunday League, you’re winning together with all your mums and dads, that’s when football is brilliant’’ Bentley said as he stated that his love for football just disappeared.
Following his retirement from playing football at a top level, Bentley has gone on to invest in restaurant and a few weeks ago it was revealed that he was the co-owner of a fine dining place in Spain that opened up not too long ago.
David Bentley said yesterday that he never saw a better coach than Arsene Wenger during his playing career.
Bentley also disclosed that Wenger had asked him not to make a move away from the Emirates Stadium.
While chatting with a daily, the 30-year old who, shockingly, retired last year said, “For me, nobody is even close to Wenger as far as the coaching is concerned. He takes care of his boys so very well.”
“He had tried to stop me when I was leaving Arsenal back in 2006, but, I did not listen to him, I was a little worried about future and I did what I thought, at that time, was right and I don’t regret any of my decisions.”
Bentley actually played only one game for the senior team of the Gunners before he was sold to Blackburn.
Bentley does not live in England any more. He has made his way to Spain for work. He has started his own business there and is very happy with how his life is going at present.
When asked about retirement, the former striker said, “Frankly speaking, I never quite enjoyed football as much at the senior level as I did at the junior level. Football was absolutely fantastic when I was a part of the Arsenal youth squad, but, not so much thereafter.”
“There are certain things in life which, you think, are just not made for you and Football was one of them for me. I did try my hand at it. I was blessed with the talent and I pursued as long as I could. You see I respected my contract. Once the contract was over, only then I left. It was just that I was not happy with what I was doing and I changed my profession.
Tottenham and West Ham United began a bidding war a few years which began on August of 2010 as both clubs were interested in taking over the Olympic Stadium and the Olympic Park Legacy Company (OPLC) announced that they had selected West Ham United and Newham Council as the preferred bidder to take over the stadium.
The bid and take takeover of West Ham United was approved by the British Government a few months later and now West Ham United was awarded with a 99 year lease that will allow them to become anchor tenants of the Olympic site starting from August of 2016.
Tottenham Hotspur revealed their plans of building an adjacent stadium next to White Hart Lane but the estimated time that the club announced it to be ready was in 2018. They will have to find a temporary home during the season of 2017-18 due to delays of their new 58,000 seat stadium and the Olympic Stadium was one of their targets but the vice-chairman of West Ham, Karren Brady has shut down the possibilities of West Ham United allowing the Olympic Stadium to be shared with Tottenham which means that they will have to search somewhere else for a temporary home while club works out all of their stadium development delays and obstacles.
“In reality they probably could but only with our permission. No one has asked us for our permission and if they did we would probably say no, depending on who it is, if you get my drift.” This was the statement released by Karren Brady as she responded to questions regarding if West Ham would be open to the idea of sharing the stadium with Tottenham.
West Ham suffered their second consecutive defeat at home after a 3-1 loss against Southampton in a performance that was branded by manager Sam Allardyce has not been good enough. The former Bolton manager has been under a lot of pressure to deliver results along with good football at Upton Park. West Ham are preparing for this campaign by bringing in a number of attacking players over the summer, but their campaign started with a disappointing 1-0 defeat against archrivals Tottenham. A 3-1 victory against Crystal Palace, though, helped them get off the mark for the campaign.
This victory showed a lot of good attacking football and expectations were raised ahead of the home match against Southampton. Three points looked to be heading West Ham’s way when Mark Noble scored in the first half to get West Ham in front. However, a remarkable comeback from Southampton with Schneiderlin scoring two goals meant that the hammers have suffered two consecutive home defeats. They put a lot of question marks on manager Allardyce's ability to get the best out of players when playing in an attacking mode.
After the match, the manager said that he was surprised with the way his team conceded two goals from set pieces, where they are usually strong.
"We weren't good enough. Southampton taught us a lesson. We weren't sharp enough, didn't retain the ball as well as they did or close down as well as they did, and we gifted them two goals. As much as they were in control and on top of the game, we've lost two very stupid goals from set-pieces. The big problem I had with the corner [for the second goal] was that it was a goal-kick of course,” said Allardyce, whose team are away at Hull City after the international break.
David Bentley has decided to hang his boots for a strange reason. He says football is not the same nowadays as it used to be once. It’s become less enjoyable.
Bentley had started being called as the second ‘David Beckham’ when he first burst onto the scene. He was brilliant with his crosses.
The winger represented a lot of clubs during his career. He had started at Arsenal in 2002 and during his 4-year tenure there, he featured for a couple of other teams as well i.e. Norwich City and Blackburn Rovers on loan. He, then, took a permanent transfer to Blackburn in 2006.
One of the highs of Bentley’s career was being signed by the Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur in 2008. He remained there till the end of his career. He didn’t play too many matches for the Spurs though as he spent most of the seasons playing on loan.
Bentley is just 29 years of age at the moment and that’s why, his retirement has raised a lot of eyebrows.
Announcing his retirement a couple of days ago, Bentley said, “I was in love with the game when I started my professional career. I am not sure if that’s the case with me now. That love isn’t there.”
“Earlier, the game’s about enjoying out there, but, nowadays, the players are like robots.”
“There has been so much influence of the social media on the game in the recent past that it hasn’t remained unpredictable at all. It has become calculated.”
A lot of people might not agree with what Bentley said, but, there is definitely some truth in his statement and one should not be surprised if more players retire from the game for this reason in the future.
Former England international David Bentley has stated that he is retiring from football at the age of 29. Bentley, who has seven England caps to his name, was last seen on the books of Spurs almost a year ago. He has been on the free transfer market for the last 12 months but he has failed to find a new club. This coupled with his lack of love for the game has led to the retirement. Bentley did not suffer any major injury problems during his career. This comes as a shock to many given that Bentley was once spoken of as the next David Beckham.
He moved to Tottenham in 2008 for £ 15 million, but his career went downhill immediately after joining the North London outfit. After failing to establish himself in the tournament first-team, he moved to several clubs like Birmingham and West Ham on loan deal from the club. He has made just over 250 matches in his career, but the last few years have been very difficult for him. Bentley came through the ranks at Arsenal before moving onto Blackburn where he made his name. He moved to Blackburn in 2006 and played for them in more than 100 matches before coming to North London.
"I've given up football. It's over a year since I played my last game and I've taken the decision to take my life in a different direction. I felt like it was time to call it a day. I've just had little baby twins, three months old, and I've got a little four-year-old and I want to focus on that. My love for the game went a little bit and I didn't want to carry on just for the fact of paying me money. It's not really ever been an option for me to do that. I'm involved in a restaurant in Spain and we're bringing it to the UK, so there is a lot of work there,” said Bentley.
Former Tottenham midfielder David Bentley has revealed in an interview for the first time that he does not enjoy football anymore. Bentley has been out of the game for almost 12 months after being released by Tottenham last summer. However, he has not joined any other club despite being available on a free transfer. Speaking for the first time about his career, the former Blackburn Rovers midfielder says that he has lost his love for the game and is most likely not going to play again.
Bentley was once a £ 15 million transfer from Blackburn to Tottenham. However, his career soon went downhill after joining the London outfit. Prior to that, he was considered as one of the most important players in the under 21 setup for the England national team. In fact, he scored the first ever goal at the new Wembley. Former under 21 manager Stuart Pearce revealed a few months ago that he would have signed Bentley the first week if he had joined Nottingham Forest. Bentley has revealed that he has been taking care of his businesses in Spain and not playing football during the last 12 months.
The revelation is unlikely to endear him to prospective clubs, would have been hoping to sign him in the summer.
"I've had a bad time of it. Each year and each stage of my career it got worse both things on and off the pitch. I decided to take three months off, then it became six, then nine. I've enjoyed being away from the game and just watching it. It's strange for me because when I was younger it was only thing I ever wanted to do. Slowly the game became repetitive and I'm not interested in that, I want to enjoy myself,” said Bentley in a talk show.
Tottenham Hotspur is going through a similar situation as Manchester United, with both Premier League club’s having experimenting a change in their managerial roles.
Tottenham Hotspur will be changing the interim manager Tim Sherwood while United has already sacked David Moyes but neither of the English sides has officially appointed the person who will be guiding their respective squads through the upcoming seasons.
Tim Sherwood has done a great job during his time in charge of the Tottenham squad but the club is already looking around for a new person who can coach the team and the name that is being heavily linked lately has been Frank De Boer.
Frank De Boer recently lifted his 4th consecutive Eredivisie trophy with Ajax as his team won their league and the Dutchman has admitted on being intrigued with the chance to coach Tottenham Hotspur and he will think about it in the next few days.
"Tottenham is just looking at which managers are in their league, they still have to decide which coach they will go for. It's nice to see that Davy Klaassen and Joel Veltman urged me to stay at Ajax. Of course this is important for my choice. At some point I will compare a club to what I have at Ajax. I don't want to throw this away and it really has to fit. These kind of details are very important’’.
"I want to add something to a club and build something. I will think about this possibility. I will have talks and will listen to their offer. After that I will decide on how I feel." Frank De Boer stated.
Having enjoyed such an impressive string of seasons with Ajax, the staff members of Tottenham Hotspur are hopeful that the Dutch coach can do the same in the Premier League and are attempting to lure him into White Hart Lane.
The last time that Tottenham managed on securing any kind of silverware was back in 2008 when the Premier League club secured the League Cup but since then, they have failed on getting anymore trophies.
Juande Ramos was the last coach which managed on guiding the London based club to European glory and he is now in charge of Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk but still offers his insight about the club he used to be in charge of and he expressed his joy about being the last manager which has been able to lift a trophy with Tottenham.
"It is a satisfaction and joy to be the last coach who won a title, the last trophy won by Tottenham but I think it will not be long before they win another one because each year they invest more and have a big budget, they are spending a lot of money on players. They are changing the things that are not working and I believe it will not be long until they win another title. But that is the reality after I left they have not won anything’’. Former Tottenham manager Juande Ramos revealed.
Gylfi Sigurðsson joined Tottenham in the summer of 2012 as he rejected offers from Liverpool and despite not having such a successful campaign compared to the team of Brendan Rodgers, the 24 years old midfielder does not regret joining Tottenham.
"People have asked me that, but at the time I was really happy to come to Tottenham, and I still am. I'm really enjoying it. It's a fantastic club and in the last couple of seasons we've shown the ambition to become better. Hopefully in the next couple of years it will be really good." Gylfi revealed.
Liverpool are making a title charge in this season with Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge being the main attacking powerhouses for the team and are fighting for the Premier League title along with Chelsea and Manchester City while Tottenham is struggling just to secure a Champions League spot but Gylfi still is happy and does not regret the club.
Juande Ramos the former Tottenham Hotspur boss has openly admitted that he could not get along with David Bentley when he was their coach at White Hart Lane. Ramos had his moments when he was the Spurs boss and feels that his relation with Bentley was not really good from the beginning itself.
He is now the manager of Dnipro where he is doing quite well and in a recent interview he expressed his feelings when he was a coach of Spurs. He said to Daily Mail that he had an excellent relation with all the players and the staff but he was never really happy with David Bentley.
Bentley’s agent had some acquaintance with Levy and there were reasons why Bentley did not get an opportunity in the first team and one of the main reasons was because they had Aaron Lennon then. Since, he was not given the opportunity to play the agent started to dish out bad things about the manager which was not at all tolerated by the club.
Ramos also blamed Bentley for starting this dirty game for which their relationship could last no longer. He also said that Bentley was unable to understand his decisions and always disagreed with him on each and everything. Ramos in his time gave enough opportunities to Bentley but he was just not up for it. According to Ramos Bentley was just not hungry in the time which was given to him while on the other hand Lenon was doing remarkably well for the team.
The decision was simple but Bentley could not take it easily. Bentley was deemed as the new David Beckham when he was signed by Tottenham Hotspur for £15million but he soon went off his radar and became a controversial figure in football due to which he finds it hard to stay at any club for a long period of time.